Follow me on Twitter

Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 23-HIking Poles

To pole or not to pole, that is the question.  There are mixed reviews on whether or not hiking (or trekking) poles are useful to use on a hike.  Some people are passionate about their poles, some people hate them.  For me, I like to have my hands free.  Even when I had babies, I always used a front pack to carry them so that my hands would be free.

I will share with you the pros and cons of poles and you can decide for yourself whether you want to use them.

PROS:

-Even weight distribution
-Easier on knees
-Better balance
-Keep arms moving so better workout

CONS:

-Hands aren't free
-Increased energy expenditure
-Take up more room on the trail
-Many people use poles incorrectly

So, there you go.  There are pros and cons to using poles.  Where do you stand on this debate?  Do you use poles or do you like your hands free like me?

Happy Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment