Follow me on Twitter

Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 13-Hiking App

For Day 13 of my "31 Day" series, I want to tell you about my favorite hiking app for Android phones.  I know many people are anti-technology when it comes to hiking, but I think it can be useful in certain instances. 

RunKeeper is an app that can be used for running, hiking, biking, skiing, swimming, etc.  I use it for running and hiking.  Just go to your app store and search for RunKeeper.

You can use your phone's GPS to track your activity or you can enter it manually.  Choose your activity type and press start.

RunKeeper will map your route, calculate elevation gain, keep time and distance.  This is a great way to keep track of all your hiking stats.  You can also make notes after each activity to remind yourself later what you liked or disliked about your adventure.

The only drawback is that sometimes the GPS won't lock on when you are on a remote hike.  In this instance you can enter the hike manually and RunKeeper will keep time for you.

Do you have a favorite App you use on your hikes?  Tell us about it.

Happy Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment