Follow me on Twitter

Friday, November 11, 2011

Boulder River Washout

First, I want to wish everyone a happy Veteran's Day and thank all of those who have served and are currently serving in the military (Especially my dad!  Thanks Dad.)

Our plan today was to hike the Boulder River trail all the way to the top this time.  We had done this hike before over the summer but only hiked to the twin falls.  I have wanted to go back to hike the entire trail ever since. 

It was dry and about 50 degrees at our house when we left.  As we got closer and closer to our destination the rain came down harder and harder and the thermometer in the car registered colder and colder.  We arrived at the trailhead amidst 40 degree weather and pouring rain.  I guess we should have gotten a clue when we saw a couple of cars driving away from the trailhead.  It was only 11:00am and there is no way they could have hiked the trail and back by then unless they started before dawn.

We decided to give it a try so I put plastic bags over the kids (yes they had holes for their heads and arms) to keep them dry and we began our journey.  This is what we saw.

The entire trail was covered in at least 2-3 inches of water and mud.  We tried to avoid it by skirting the sides, but it was no use.  At 1/2 mile in, our feet were soaked and our hands were frozen.  I was disappointed but we had to turn around. 

On the way back my youngest wanted me to take a picture of him pretending to fall in  the water.  My hands and phone were so wet my touch screen wouldn't work.  But, I finally dried off enough to get this pic.
Well, we tried.  We were happy to get back in the car and crank up the heat. 

I hope you enjoy your weekend and Happy Hiking!

2 comments:

  1. How disappointing! I'm hoping my planned route this afternoon isn't too bogged down with water... (PS Love the plastic bag look!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like an adventure! I tried to get my boyfriend into hiking a few years ago and ended up getting soaked as well. I wanted to show him my favorite hike in Seabeck (Guillemot Cove, ever been?)

    It was so flooded we decided to take off our socks and shoes to get through the bad parts just so we could get to the beach. What a mess!

    ReplyDelete