Follow me on Twitter

Monday, September 10, 2012

Mt. Si

Hike: Mt. Si
Distance:  8 miles
Time: 4 1/2 hours
Elevation Gain:  3150
Difficulty:  Hard
Potties:  Yes
Pass required:  Discover Pass

I have been wanting to do this hike for a couple of years now and I finally decided it was time.  I had done Little Si with the boys a few years ago and wanted the challenge of doing the big one.

I headed out with my friend Suzy early in the morning and made the hour drive to North Bend.  It was an easy drive and the parking lot was huge and nearly empty.  It was a weekday after all, which is the best time to do these popular hikes.

The trail was very well maintained and wasn't too rocky until you reached the last quarter mile.  I will say that you are basically going 4 miles straight uphill, so this hike is not for the cardiovascularly challenged.  Going uphill for 4 miles also means you have to go downhill for 4 miles which is often an even bigger job.  All in all, after all the trip reports I had read before doing this hike, it wasn't as hard as I had expected.  I loved the difficulty and felt accomplished when I reached the top.

Mt. Ranier


The views were beautiful although it was a bit hazy the day we were there.  The view above is from atop a rock scramble.

We didn't make the journey to the haystack which seemed pretty steep.  We may have tried it if we had more time and energy:)
I am happy to have accomplished hiking up Mt. Si.  It was a great challenge!  However, this isn't one of my favorite hikes.  Great for elevation gain and nice views though.  It is worth it for the accomplishment of making it to the top:)

To get here  drive east on I-90 to exit 32 (436th Avenue SE). Turn left (north) over the freeway and drive 0.5 mile to North Bend Way. Turn left (west), and in 0.25 mile turn right (north) on Mount Si Road. The  trailhead is on the left,  about 2.5 miles down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment